The 21st century is pretty cool. We have cellphones that connect us to the world in our pockets, electric cars are cruising around the city, and we’re well on our way to Mars.
So why is swimming still taught the old way, with a curriculum built back when bell-bottoms were cool and designed to teach one kid at a time while the others sit around and watch?
Our Kids Can Swim proprietary and science-based curriculum focuses on combining great technique with real-life safety and survival scenarios. Just like you can’t drive by reading the manual, you can’t learn water safety by just knowing technique. You need real-life experience!
We are guided by three core teaching principles
It is almost impossible to learn when you are cold or scared. While our warm and shallow pools take away these barriers to learning, our curriculum was designed to teach kids the complex and life-saving skill of swimming through three core teaching principles.
- Active Learning Time: Science has shown us that kids learn best by doing. That’s why the Kids Can Swim curriculum is based on maximizing Active Learning -the amount of time your kids spend moving, practicing and learning, not waiting their turn.
- Learning Through Play: All our lessons are designed to be fun and engaging, so your kids not only remember what they’re learning and but really want to come back and keep swimming.
- Repetition and Structure: At Kids Can Swim all our lesson plans are free-written. We break complex swimming skills down into their building blocks meaning that the skills and communications your kids learn on their first day with us will be the same they use for more complex strokes as they progress through our levels.
For more information on the magic behind our science-based curriculum, please watch this video!
For more information on some of the guiding principles used in our curriculum take a look at the International Academy of Education’s reports on childhood learning. Ready to sign-up now? Learn how to register for classes at KCS today!
We know our product works and that if kids attend their weekly lessons regularly, they will progress through our program and become confident and safe swimmers for life.
To that end, we offer a learning guarantee to all our swimmers who are 3 years old and above that states if your child has met the below criteria and still not passed their level, their lessons are free until they do:
- Attended 20 swimming lessons;
- Has not had a break in their enrolment (eg. did not take a break from lessons for a month or more); and,
- Has maintained 90% attendance in their classes.
After your child has initially qualified for the learning guarantee, to retain the free lessons, they must maintain a 90% attendance rate in their classes and must not take a break from monthly lessons – otherwise the learning guarantee will be removed.